Interested in the benefits, indications and contraindications for physical activity throughout pregnancy? Please read this guideline and follow the link.
Strong recommendations are summarized below:
All women without contraindication should be physically active throughout pregnancy. moderate-quality evidence.
- Women who were previously inactive. moderate-quality evidence.
- Women categorised as overweight or obese (prepregnancy body mass index ≥25 kg/m2). low-quality evidence.
- Pregnant women should accumulate at least 150 min of moderate-intensityiii physical activity each week to achieve clinically meaningful health benefits and reductions in pregnancy complications. Strong recommendation, moderate-quality evidence.
- Physical activity should be accumulated over a minimum of 3 days per week; however, being active every day is encouraged. moderate-quality evidence.
- Pregnant women should incorporate a variety of aerobic and resistance training activities to achieve greater benefits. Adding yoga and/or gentle stretching may also be beneficial. high-quality evidence.